1. I understand where you guys are coming from right now. I didn’t graduate that long ago, so I remember how scary this really is.
2. I won’t let you hurt a patient. I will never make you do anything you aren’t comfortable doing without me right there guiding you every step of the way.
3. When you are doing something for the first time, if you are doing it wrong, I will stop you right away and we can go over the correct method. I will not wait until you are right about to mess up and then shout and startle you.
4. After clinicals, go home and rest! I’d rather have you well rested and ready to work tomorrow than have you do concept maps (yay!!!).
5. I will never sit and do crossword puzzles or read a book. I will always be with one of my students.
The worst thing a clinical instructor who has said #1-5 can say to her students:
1. I will only be working with you for two weeks. 😦
As I think you can tell, our new clinical instructor, Rebecca, is wonderful. I have liked all my instructors (they have been nice people), but Rebecca seems to completely understand us and has her priorities straight (no concept maps)!!!!